Skip to main content

EVERYDAY CYCLIST (1) - MY FIRST LONDON COMMUTE 10 YEARS AGO

May 2005


The bicycle has always been in my radar, whether by reading about it in the pink pages of La Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper, or by riding it in my childhood during my holidays visiting grandparents in Parma. In Genoa, where I’m from, cycling for leisure is not really an option as the sprawling city is built on steep terrain. My flat, for instance, would have required an elevation gain of 150 metres over 1.5 km… not exactly something for the occasional rider; so the riding was limited to the summer holidays in pan flat Parma.Therefore, while living in relatively flat London, cycling started to have a certain appeal, especially considering the ever increasing price of public transport and the constant waste of time waiting for either trains or buses.
Two or three of my colleagues were cycling on a regular basis, but the prospect of future rides was tempting enough for me to finally give it a go.
My fitness level was very low, ok, non-existent when compared to them and I was worried that, considering I would have had to cover more than double their distance from my home, it would prove too much. But there’s no knowing without trying.
I proceeded to buy a mountain bike as I thought it would be a safer ride over potholes, manhole covers, rain and the occasional towpath. Racing bikes were still the exception in London’s traffic... how much things have changed since then!

10th May 2005.
8:30am.

I was wearing lycra leggings with minimalistic pad (I’d soon regret that), long sleeve jersey (very baggy) and a yellow waterproof jacket. It was May and I was preparing myself for a ride in the Arctic Circle. Little I knew how hot it would get during the ride.
As previously mentioned, my fitness level was bad, I let myself go a bit thanks mainly to the copious lunchtime beers, therefore my tummy seemed to get in the way of pedalling. That would need to be addressed.
The route I chose proved disastrous because it went through Putney, Fulham, Kensington, Park Lane! (why, oh why did I go that way), Oxford Street (of all roads); basically the busiest streets in London’s morning traffic.
Out of New Malden, I hit the first and only climb, Copse Hill, which is only a gentle slope ramping up to 5% at the top and about 1 km long, but back then and as heavily dressed as I was, I could have sworn the effort felt comparable to what pro riders would feel on the steep slopes of the Tour de France.
Adding to my discomfort were toe clips I had added to my pedals. As I had managed to time almost each red light to perfection (around 75 of them, no, really), fitting my shoes back onto the pedals and into the toe clips so many times required the type of skill I definitely lacked, often resulting in a few pedal strokes with the straps hanging and hitting the floor in pure beginner’s style.
However bad that first ride went, including ample amounts of sweat (mainly thanks to the greenhouse effect produced by the waterproof jacket), it was enough for me to fall in love with the cycling experience.
The freedom to choose the route, the ability to forget everything else and enjoy the wind in my face. The clue was in the smiling, which would become part of my cycling from then on.
Adieu to stuffy trains and crowded buses, to high fares and boring waits. Bienvenue to cycling.

RIDE STATS
ride length: 21km
ride time: 1h23m
average speed: 15.2km/h
total elevation gain: 118 metres
highest point: 59 metres


Image: mapmyride.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REACH OUT, TALK TO PEOPLE

I wanted to share what we did at the weekend in the hope to inspire other people to try what my partner and I ended up doing. A few days ago we were walking the dogs late in the afternoon and on the way back, in this big field, we noticed an elderly woman walking slowly leaning on her stick. We asked if she was ok as she seemed tentative and a little confused. The very first thing she said, almost without realising that's what she was going to say was: "You are the first people I've spoken to all day". Neither of us expected that so we stayed with her, chatting away for about 40 minutes. We ended up walking her back to her house, exchange numbers and invite her for a Sunday roast. She was going to be 89 a few days later and it seemed a nice thing to do. She was really touched as she didn't have it in her to cook a roast for herself (and she admitted she hated cooking).

LA CLASSICISSIMA, A PREVIEW

As classics go, Milano-Sanremo is the longest of them all (almost 300km) and one of the oldest (1907). Eddy Merckx has won it a record 7 times. It has been marred by late snow at times and its route has been modified here and there, but at its core is the length and flatness, so one for the sprinters traditionally but not so much of late. There are a few lumps, but although short and not very steep, they usually come at the end of a long day on the saddle and have been decisive in the outcome of the race. In recent times, the climbs of Cipressa (added in 1982) and Poggio (added in 1960) have been the theatres of all-out attacks. The breakneck and twisty descent from the Poggio especially, induced some of the most entertaining racing... and some awful crashes too. The finish in the town of Sanremo has moved posts a few times but whether it was in the false flat of Via Roma or on the pan flat promenade by the sea, many a time it has ended in a bunch sprint.

GIRO 2019 SO FAR - THE GOOD AND THE NOT SO GOOD

The Giro, like any Grand Tour, is a race of attrition, grit, resistance, luck and sheer determination that goes on for three weeks. The mental and physical demands are huge and some riders can deliver under this pressure. Others, albeit talented, crumble under the weight of expectation. So it is that every year it becomes a lottery for the lucky and the healthy and the fit. Results, or lack of, before the race is not always a good indicator. This article is not about Nibali, Roglic or Mollema, who are expected to do a good job as leaders and they have. This is about those athletes who have impressed the most or underperformed according to their skillsets (no comment on those who have left). THE GOOD RICHARD CARAPAZ (Movistar) Although 4th last year, the Ecuadorian tends to be quiet the rest of the season, so his rise in the general classification is never a given. He climbs faster than anyone else and his initial brief might have been to be Landa's right-hand man on the